Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lunch for One

I normally work Monday through Friday these days. So when I had the chance to take a mid-week day off I decided to splurge and treat myself to a good lunch. After spending entirely too long hunting the largest thrift shop in town for interesting finds (and clothes that made me laugh out loud) it was past the usual lunch hour. I have been wanting to try a tiny tapas bistro in the Riverside area that promises a unique Spanish style tapas experience for Jacksonville. I walked in 15 minutes prior to close to see if it was too late. The gal greeting me cheerfully informed me the kitchen would close in 4 minutes. I decided to come back another time when they wouldn't feel compelled to count down the minutes till they could turn off the burners. I'll give it another shot another day because it does look extraordinarily quaint.
My next choice took me to Taverna in San Marco. Formerly Cafe Carmon held this location which retains the warm low lighting, interesting art on the wall and white linens. I opted to sit outside facing San Marco on the covered patio. I realize there's a certain stigma associated with eating alone. It seems most people, especially women, will avoid it at any cost. Personally I enjoy it periodically. I like to pretend I have my own mysterious story for being solo. It's a time to reflect quietly, savor my own company, indulge in a good book while eating something especially good. A really good drink is essential to eating alone. I started this lunch with an Italian red wine. My server, Felipe, recommended a glass of Forte Canto Negroamaro Salento Rosso. I'm definitely no wine connoisseur, but it was delicious. He also brought a plate of warm, crusty bread with olive oil for dipping. The specials were duck confit wood-fired pizza or caprese salad.
Now I'm a sucker for all types of cheese. The caprese salad was comprised of the in-house made mozzarella cheese so I had to try it. I also ordered the gambas al ajillo which on the menu is described as prawns with garlic and chili. Maybe I should have asked Felipe about that before I ordered it.
The caprese salad came on a long, narrow platter with little towers of the homemade mozzarella, tomato, basil leaves and a heavenly balsamic reduction and olive oil drizzle. Chef had also sprinkled some coarse salt over the dish which enhanced the flavor of the almost bland tomato. The "prawns" came in a tapas size cast iron skillet on a bed of chili oil with slivers of garlic. They were definitely shrimp- not monster size prawns- and they were a little soft. The shrimp were a little oily but the slight heat from the garlic and chili flakes was good. I would definitely try a different tapas plate next time like the herbed ricotta with fig compote and grilled peasant bread or a wood-fired pizza.
Felipe brought me a dessert menu and I told him I wasn't interested until I saw the chocolate torte. Another highlight of eating alone is splurging. Nobody can judge you and your server always encourages you to try something. It's pretty fun. So I ordered the chocolate torte with whipped mascarpone cheese, caramel and candied pistachios. It was spectacular. The small chocolate torte was creamy and rich. The pistachios were candied, crushed and a little salty. A delicious complement to the honey caramel that lined the torte. The plate was visually alluring with the pure, whipped mascarpone next to the dark chocolate and a swirl of golden caramel. A delightful dessert experience.
This day I was reading a book about a woman that lives a nomadic, single life after an ugly divorce. It's a true story and she inspires me with her sense of adventure and unquenchable drive to travel and learn new cultures. While I savored my lunch for one I imagined the adventures I will be creating in my future. I realized today I'm fortunate to be in a loving relationship where my partner supports my desire to go to faraway places. He understands that there are more grandiose reasons to eat a meal these days. To enjoy food and ingredients means my soul can be nourished.

No comments:

Post a Comment